Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Reunion



Every year, the Saturday before Easter, we have a big family get together. My dad's side of the family all gathers at the park and cooks burgers and hot dogs. We have way too many sweets, the kids have a great time on the playground, the men talk about hunting and work while the women catch up on all of the happenings in our daily lives. We always have a great time!

This year, was the best! I saw faces this year that I haven't seen in years. Cousins that I used to be extremely close to but hadn't been in contact with since high school showed up yesterday. It was really nice seeing them and their families. It's amazing to see how we've all grown up. I can remember going to these big Easter get togethers and being the kiddo. Now, I have kiddo's of my own. It's sad to see the elders disappearing though. So many of them have gone on to the other side. The ones that are left aren't in the greatest of health. Kinda makes me sad and makes me feel old too. It really makes me realize just how short life really is. Our kids grow up too fast and if we aren't careful, we'll miss out on important things.

Seeing so many of my relatives this weekend made me stop and think, what do you have if you don't have family? Whether that family be big or small, we NEED them in our lives. How blessed we are to have family! There was not one person there yesterday that shared the same blood as I. Not one person that shared my genes. (Other than my children) But EVERYONE there was my family. Aunts, Uncles, cousins, they don't have to share your blood to be your family. My daddy, we don't share the same blood but he is my daddy in every since of the word. I've been a part of his family since I was 2 years old. Love, loyalty, compassion, that makes a family, not blood. There was not one person at that reunion yesterday that I couldn't call at any time of the day or night if I needed them. They would be there and I would be there for them. Family, we need to cherish our families and be thankful for what we've got. I couldn't imagine my life without them!!

3 comments:

girl said...

Family is a wonderful thing... all types of family. Happy Easter my friend.

Tiffany said...

Family is awesome. I'm glad you had a great weekend!

Court said...

How true it is they need to be cherished by us! What a precious dress for Easter!