Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Time to put myself in check

Watching the local news last night really got me to thinking. There is so much sadness in the world and so many people that are much worse off than me. The world we live in, it's not always so nice. People, they can be so cruel and heartless. I have so much to be thankful for. Sure, there are things that I want, and sometimes even things that I need, but my needs, far fewer than so many others out there. I have taken pride in the fact that I am an optimistic person. I like to see the positive in things. I hate negativism, to me it's such a cop out.

Lately, I think I have been too negative and I don't like that. I don't want to become one of those people that pops onto a message board to complain about their life and get sympathy and be gone. To make a FB update about how awful my life is and wait for the responses. God has been good to me and blessed me so abundantly. My children are healthy, my husband and I are healthy, we have a roof over our heads and food to eat. We have so much more than so many others. It becomes easy to complain. We get wrapped up in our own selfishness and forget what is right in front of us, the goodness that is in our lives. I'm really going to start working on that. I am going to start being more thankful for what I have and complain less about what I don't.

Situations and circumstances can't always be helped. We have to deal with what we've got often times. Other times, we have the ability to get ourselves out of those situations and circumstances and move on, to take control and change things. I vow not to complain but to do something, change things. Be thankful that my situation isn't as bad as it could be. It's okay to see the negative but while I'm looking at the negative, also look at the positive and know what is in front of me. Know that God has given me the strength and ability to handle whatever it is that comes my way. So today, I am starting with a new attitude. I'm going to be more thankful and complain less, wanna join me?

2 comments:

girl said...

I've been trying to do just the same. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes I fail. Actually I fail a lot but just working at it makes a difference!

You really are so very blessed. Those kids, a new baby and people who love you... even if you are weird.

Just kidding.

Court said...

Oh definately, I've been on this mission a while. I've started forcing myself to come up with three positives for every negative and it's helped!