Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Our First Seine of the New Year

We haven't seined fish in over a month. It gets a little slow around the holidays. I don't mind because I need the break. Tomorrow, we have our first seine of the new year. I must admit that I am not looking forward to it. I know it has to be done and that it is money in our pocket but it doesn't mean that I have to like it. Hubs just doesn't understand why I complain about it so much. Well, let's see, my idea of fun is NOT slipping into my waders, getting into the ice cold water, and loading up a bunch of flipping, flopping, and splashing catfish. It is not on my list of things that I enjoy doing. He gets a little annoyed with my complaining so I really try not to complain but he can hear the tone in my voice when we talk about it and that makes him angry. I have asked him many times, "How many other women would get out here and do what I do?" His response is always the same, "I don't know of any!" Well then shut up and let me complain, lol.

It really isn't THAT hard of work. I can handle it. I just don't like it. Plain and simple. Just to give you an idea of what "Seining" actually is......here ya go.

The day before we "seine" we put the seine out into the pond. We have a 650ft seine that is on a big huge seine reel. We use the tractor and the hydraulics on one side and then the truck and a pulley on the other. We stretch the seine out across the width of the pond. It takes us about 30 minutes to get everything done.

The day of the seine: Hubs drives the tractor and I drive the truck. He hooks up to the seine on one side of the pond and I on the other. We take turns pulling the seine down the length of the pond. It takes us about 45 minutes to do this. We have to drive very very slow so that they seine drags the bottom of the pond. As long as nothing goes wrong, no ropes break or anything, this part goes rather smoothly. It's just a little boring, lol.

Once Hubs gets his part of the seine to the end he stops and waits on me. I have to then drag my part of the seine around the corner of the pond and across the other side until I meet with him. We then hook both ends of the seine back onto the reel.

This is where it gets "fun." I go park the truck and go get my waders on. Hubs hooks up all of the ropes and makes sure everything is secure. He backs the seine reel down into the pond while I block the tires with blocks. We both get into the water and start reeling the seine in. It takes us about 30 minutes to reel the seine in. Once we have the seine reeled in to where we want it we have to take metal stakes and stake the lead line down so that the fish can't get out.

We get the scales hooked up on the tripod and get the truck with the tank backed up into the loading area. By this time I am usually ready to get the party over with. We take a two man dip net and dip the fish out of the pond. We usually load up about 75-85 lbs at a time. During the summer when we catch more fish we will load up to 140 lbs at a time. We dip the fish, weigh them, and then I have to climb onto the back of the truck and hold the net up for Hubs to dump them into the tank. It's a really nasty job. Those stinking fish splash and jump everywhere. Catfish have a really thick slime on them that feels like snot so when you pick them up it gets all stuck in between your fingers and such. It usually only takes us about 15 minutes to load the fish unless we have a really big order. But, during that 15 minutes I get so dirty and nasty that it is unreal. Mud in my hair, fish slime all over my hands and arms. Not to mention the water is freaking COLD.

So, tomorrow, I will be having "FUN!" I'm so excited about it, can't you tell? Anyone wanna come take my place?

1 comment:

Nita said...

Oh ick. I was ok with it until I read about the slime. Then I thought about the whiskers.

Gah. Hope you make lots of mon-ay!