Tuesday, November 18, 2008

It's hard work!

I guess anyone with a uterus can become a mother but it takes patience and hard work to be a mommy. This raising kids stuff is hard work.
I could be one of those moms that just goes with the flow. You know, just lets their kids do whatever, whenever, and put little effort into their lives. But it's not how I tick. I want the best for my kids. I want to teach them to be strong, compassionate, God fearing people. Just getting by isn't good enough. You can't just float through life in this world. You have to work and you have to work hard if you want to be somebody, if you want to have something to be proud of.

Bubba is going through some things right now and I'm trying really hard to handle it all the best way that I know how. He's not being bad or getting in trouble. It's nothing like that. He's really a great kid and I am very proud of him. He's in Junior High now and it's a big transition from Elementary School. Being the youngest in the class is hard on him. Deep down I know that I did the right thing by letting him advance the way he has but sometimes, I must admit, I question myself. Straight A's have always came easy for him. Very little effort and minimal studying has been his way. Junior High is a little tougher. Not to mention that he is in all Pre-AP classes. He still made the honor roll this go round and I am proud of that but should I be content with his minimal effort? His Language teacher is worried about him because he has learned to do the bare minimum and just get by. He's happy with a B as long as he doesn't have to work at it. It really frustrates me because I have taught him to do better than "just getting by." If an 85 was the very best that he could do, I'd be very proud of him. But if an 85 is what he gets by being lazy and not putting forth any effort, should I still be proud? I think not! I want him to strive to be the best at whatever he does. Is it wrong for a mom to want her kids to actually work hard and do better for themselves?

Maybe I'm just being too hard on him. I just want to be the best mom that I can be and when he is grown and starting a family of his own, I want him to KNOW that I did all that I could do to help him to be the best that he can be. Are you sure that there are no manuals that come with these kids when we get em?

1 comment:

Court said...

I know what you mean, I worry I'll be too hard on my daughter and she's not even two yet. God help her!