Monday, July 14, 2008

Meds Work

So I have been on the Lexapro almost 3 weeks now. About a week ago I started noticing a difference. I have felt better in the past few days than I have in months. Today was my follow up visit with the Dr. I told him how much better I felt and how I felt like I was finding myself again. He was happy for me and wrote me a prescription. He wants me to give it about 4 months and see where we are at that point. Sounds good to me! I left his office feeling great! I am feeling better and things are going well. I go to the pharmacy to get my prescription filled and the girl at the counter asks if I have insurance, um no. Are you sure you want this medicine, she asked? Um, yes! Well ma'am, it is $97.00. WHAT???? Are you kidding me??? I can't do $97.00 for 30 flippin pills. No ma'am, I guess I don't want to get the prescription.

I left the pharmacy and called the Doc's office. I explained to the nurse that I do NOT have insurance and that medicine is really expensive. Is there something else that I could try that is cheaper? Geeze Louise! Of course the Dr. had already left for the day and she would have to leave him a message to call me back in the morning. Ugh!

I can't afford $100 a month for medicine but I also can't afford not to take it. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Stupid head of mine, why can't it just fix itself and all be well? I am hoping that the Dr. will call back with good news in the morning. Maybe he can give me more samples or change the meds or something. If not, then I don't know what to do. I will totally feel guilty if I have to spend $100 on meds because my head isn't screwed on straight.

6 comments:

Tara said...

As far as I know there is not a generic of Lexapro (I have a family member who takes it and we have talked about the crazy price). I am on Welbutrin which I think is similar... and there IS a generic of that, so it might be worth exploring other meds. That sucks though- but maybe you could at least try something else before resigning yourself to paying $100 a month! But you gotta do what you gotta do to feel good.

Two Lines

MollyDoll said...

They don't make a generic of Lexapro, but there are definitely others you can take. Whatever you do, don't stop taking the Lex suddenly. You can get some nasty side effects if you don't taper off it gradually. I hope the doc can find you something more affordable!

Jenn said...

He's got to have a drawer full samples in the office. I don't see why he can't help you out with some.

Hope you get it all straightened out sweetie!

Harmony said...

Hope he's got samples! Also, check out the manufacturer's website. Sometimes they have programs to help if you're uninsured...

Beth said...

I'm just so glad you're feeling better. I hope the dr found a way to help you to keep taking it. Sometimes the pharmaceutical companys have programs that help pay for them (called MAP meds).

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry this is so tough! Whatever you do just keep working to find a solution.

Big hugs, you can do this!