Saturday, March 1, 2008

Try-outs

Sunny and 75 degrees today. I sat on the baseball field, score card in hand, watching as 68 little boys showed their skills, or lack of. Some were good, some were great, and well, some need to find another activity. Why do some parents wait until their kid is 9-10 yrs old to sign them up for an organized sport? Do they not realize how silly their kid looks and how horrible it must be for their self esteem? They are at the age now that they know that they are not as good as the others and that has to be hard on them. Not to mention how aggrivating it must be for those that take the game so seriously.
Most of these boys have been playing since they were 4 yrs old and they have a good 5 yrs experience on the new kids. I, as a parent, wouldn't want to put my kid in that position. I don't know, maybe I am looking at it all wrong. If the kid has played other sports and is somewhat of an athlete, it isn't so bad, and I can understand them wanting to try a new sport. But, when a kid has NEVER played a sport of any kind and has zero atheletic ability, please find your child something else to do. Do humiliate him by puting him on a baseball field where he is going to keep the bench warm most of the season.
Tomorrow is Draft Day, I am ready!

No comments: