Sunday, January 13, 2008

Whoa, we've got a team!


With Bubba being sick for 3 days, one of our starting line-up out of town and another of our team members being grounded and unable to attend the game, I was sure that we were destined to lose this weekend. Much to my surprise, the boys stepped up. The first game was a masacre. We won 24-3. Bubba wasn't his normal, juking and jiving, scoring self but he hung in there. He was weak and tired from being sick but he didn't let it stop him completely. Game one was against a much weaker team and though I was proud of them for winning, I knew that the next game was going to be a tough one.
The coach of the other team was one of my good friends and his team was loaded. He called me the day of the draft and bragged about the players he had on his team. I must admit that I was a bit intemidated. I was looking for a score much like the first game, only in their favor this time. The game started out pretty ugly. They had us down 7-0 at the end of the first quarter. The coach of the other team was so excited and feeling like he had already won. He has never beaten me in basketball before. Baseball, yep, a time or two, but basketball, never even come close. My boys started out the 2nd quarter on fire. We came back and had took the lead 16-13 at the half. I couldn't believe it. Playing with only 6 boys, having already played one game, while their players were fresh, we were leading them. Wow! I was so proud of my boys. We kept the lead through the 3rd quarter and then fatigue started to set in. We missed a few free throws and let them dominate us on the offensive end. The final score was 27-24. They won, but I was SO proud of my boys. We may have came out with a loss in the record book but we came home with in a win in MY book. They played their hearts out and had we had our full team there and not just came off of another game, we would quite possibly could have won that game.
I don't like to look at "what if's" but in this case, I can definately look back and say that if we had our full team and Bubba had been on his game, wow, the outcome would have been different. I am sure that we will see this team again in the play-offs. I am looking forward to it.
My boys played as a team, no ball hogging, no complaining, just played a great game of basketball. Passing, shooting, helping each other out on both ends of the court. I feel like I have done my job. I have taught them something and I am proud of each and every one of them! Way to go Bearkats!

2 comments:

Harmony said...

Woo-hoo!! Sounds like a team to be proud of :)

Girl said...

Rock on guys!