Saturday, January 5, 2008

It breaks my heart


My little brothers wife called this morning and wanted to come over. Now that I have a bigger house with more room, I don't mind the company every now and then. She and the boys (my two nephews) were bored and wanted to come and visit. She said that she would meet me in town and that she had a special surprise for me. I couldn't imagine what it could be and she wouldn't give me a hint at all.

We met up at the grocery store and much to my surprise, she had my niece with her. The little girl that I had pretty much raised for the first 3 1/2 yrs of her life. I very rarely get to see her now. Once, maybe twice a year. My little sister lost custody of her several years ago and her bio father and step mother don't let her visit us much. Bubba and I were very happy to see her and she was just as excited to see us. We spent most of the afternoon together in town and then came back to my house.

Bubba and Bre had a great time and really enjoyed each other's company. There are only 9 months between them and they were as close as any brother and sister could ever be. She is older than Bubba but Bubba outgrew her several years ago. He's a big boy.

While I was cooking dinner and the boys were playing, she came into the kitchen and sat at the bar to talk. At first she just sat and watched me and then she began to talk. She said that she really missed us a lot and wished that she still lived with us. She said that she hates not getting to see us. Then her cell phone rang. She rolled her eyes and got up and walked away as she answered. On the other end of the line was her mother (step-mom). Once she got off of the phone with her she said that she had already called her 12 times since we had been home. WHAT? WHY? We had only been home about 2 hours. Was something wrong?

She sat back down at the bar and began to cry. She said that her "mother" wanted to make sure that her REAL mother (my sister) hadn't come over. She was not allowed to see her or talk to her. If she were to see her she was to turn her back and walk away. I was in shock. I couldn't believe what she was telling me. She said that when they are in front of other people that her parents will tell her that it is her choice whether she sees her mom or not but when they are at home alone they have instructed her to never see her and never talk to her again. They have told her that her mom is a horrible person and that she doesn't love her. I asked her what she thought and what she wanted to do and she started crying again and said that she wanted to see her mom and that she missed her. It has been almost 2 years since she has seen her or spoken to her. They will not allow it.

My little sister has never won a mother of the year award and will never be a June Cleaver, but it is not my sister that they are hurting. It is an innocent 10 year old girl that they are destroying. They will live to regret it one day. I love that little girl so much and I miss her terribly. It just breaks my heart what they are doing to her. I truly hope that she doesn't grow up to hate her parents for what they have done to her. I pray that she and my sister can someday reunite and start a new relationship.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

This breaks my heart too! I hope they realize that this little girls needs her mama, even just to visit with. Otherwise she may end up angry at those who are raising her now.

Harmony said...

Someday she'll have the choice of who she sees and doesn't see.
How sad that they think they can dictate what she'll feel in her heart.

Girl said...

Dude, they suck. She will have a choice someday... bless her little heart in the mean time.