Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Poor Baby


Sister has had a runny nose for a few days now and it doesn't seem to be getting better. I have been running the cool mist humidifier, using the Vapor Bath, Little Noses every few hours, and the all too wonderful boogy sucker. She hates having her nose wiped and she turns her head and screams now every time she sees the boogy sucker. I would be sick 10 times over if I could just make her feel better. I hate for one of my kids to be sick. It just breaks my heart.

Bubba is having trouble in school and I am at a loss as to what to do for him. He is so smart and could be doing so much better than what he is. I know that his life has changed dramatically and all but he swears that having a new baby at home isn't the problem. He was the one and only for 9 years and I know that deep down it has to bother him to come extent even though he says it doesn't. I just don't know what to do for him.
His grades aren't bad, not for the average student, but Bubba isn't the average student. If he were doing his best and I knew in my heart that he was doing the best that he could do, I wouldn't mind the "average" grades so much. But, I know Bubba and I know that he isn't putting forth half the effort that he could. He is going through a stage where he thinks he is "cool." He is the youngest kid in the 5Th grade because he is a year ahead of what he is supposed to be and he has become quite the popular kid. He has really taken a liking to his new popularity and I think he is more interested in being the "cool kid" instead of being the "smart kid." I have tried to explain to him that he can be both of those kids at the same time.
I know I put a lot of pressure on him but I just want what is best for him and I want him to succeed in whatever his heart desires. I just don't know if I am pushing him too hard. Do I just let him do a half hearted job and get by middle of the road or do I push him and challenge him to do the best he can do? He used to be such a perfectionist with his work and really care what he made. Now, it seems like he could care less. The only reason he even gives a rats rip is because he knows that he will get in trouble if it gets too bad. I just don't know what to do.

I told him that he couldn't play basketball until the half way mark of this 6 wks and we will see what his grades are. He has cried and begged but I am stinking to it. It would completely break my heart for him not to play but I have to get his attention somehow right? Gah, this parenting thing is tough stuff!

3 comments:

MollyDoll said...

(((HUGS)) to you. Sister is lovely, even with a stuffy nose! I'm sorry Bubba is having a hard time. I taught 5th grade for a while, and I noticed that it seems like the kids are realizing that it's important to be cool. It's sad that being cool and getting good grades aren't always equal, priority-wise, to kids. I think you did the right thing with basketball. It would stink if he didn't get to play, but hopefully it'll be a good wake-up call for him. I hope he can learn to balance school and social life now. If he does, it'll be so much easier for him once he goes into the upper grades! You're doing a good job, mama!

Steph said...

((HUGS)) I hope Sister feels better quickly.

I agree with Molly on the Bubba issue. I hope it is enough of a wake up call. My sister was really popular but didnt care if people knew she was smart. Hopefully he can find that balance.

Girl said...

That little girl is just stunning.