Sunday, November 11, 2007

Las Vegas Baby!


Bright lights, limousines, screeching cabs, clanking machines, and loud music. That is the sounds and sights of Las Vegas! $80 bucks for the hair, $65 for the nails, nerves and excitement, as I waited for the limo to come pick us up. We were getting married. Long lines at the courthouse to get a license and finally, we are on our way to the chapel. It went smoothly, we took our photos and said our I do's, we were happy, in-love, and ready for the world. We went back to the room to gather a few things and set out for an evening on the town.

I had to make a couple of phone calls before we left for the evening so that everyone would know that we were "hitched." I called his parents first, we had spoken to them just minutes before we went down to get in the limo and they were SO excited and made us promise to call the minute we got back for the "ceremony." When I got his mom on the phone, I knew something wasn't quite right, the sadness in her voice was not what I was expecting. I think I knew the instant I heard her speak the first word but I was hoping beyond all hope that it wasn't true. I asked her what was wrong, she kept telling me nothing, I repeated again and finally, she caved, he had passed away. My FIL had literally taken his last breath at the exact time that DH and I were saying our I do's.

It was his dying wish for us to get married and I am so glad that we granted his last wish. It was really hard telling my husband, that I had just married minutes before, that his father had passed away. He we were, thousands of miles from home, and his dad had passed on. We tried to get an emergency flight home but everyone insisted that we stay. His father wanted us to get married, wanted us to have a great time, and would have wanted us to stay, so we did. They would plan the funeral around our plans, it would really only be holding things off for one day. We would cry a little, go out on the town awhile, come back and cry a little, and then leave again. We tried really hard to make the best of it and enjoy ourselves in his honor, but wow, it was tough.

That was 6 years ago today. It is really hard to explain the emotions of today. On one hand, it is the day I married my husband, the man I intend on spending the rest of my life with, on the other hand, it is the day that I lost my fil. Happy, yet sad too. And no one, I mean no one, in the family, ever remembers that it is our anniversary, it is always the day that Josh died.

However, I won't be sitting around the house today, moping or thinking about it, I am going to the ballpark, my second home, to watch Bubba play his last tournament of the season. He played two great games yesterday. He pitched 2 innings, struck out 3 batters, picked a man off of second, got 3 hits, stole 2 bases and scored 2 runs. I am so proud of him. He is a natural athlete and enjoys every minute he spends on the field.

Our fish even at Pearland went off without a hitch yesterday. Sister was the BEST baby ever. She was a perfect little angel. I was so worried that it was going to be tough on us and that she would be fussy or whiny. Nope, not a peep out of her. She sat in the stroller awhile and just watched everyone, then I strapped her in the Moby for awhile, where she was perfectly content. I fed her about half way through the day and changed her diaper and then all was well. Overall, it was a great event, we made a good chunk of change, and everyone was happy. Yay!

3 comments:

Mama Bella said...

Happy Anniversary!

Steph said...

Happy Anniversary!! Im sorry it's such a sad day for you. I hope bubba's game went great and Im so glad your event went well!

Katrina said...

hope you had a wonderful anniversary.