Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Fishing?

Was he really being sweet and congratulating me or was he fishing for information? I may never know the answer to that question. He and I always did get along and he was so totally different from anyone else in the family but it has been so long and so much has happened since then. I have been out of the family for over 7 years and haven't heard from him in over 5 yrs. Is it possible that he was just being nice and concerned or is there an ulterior motive?

The phone rang on Monday afternoon and a voice on the other end says my name. I knew I recognized the voice but couldn't put my finger on it right away. After he spoke my name the second time I knew who he was. It was my ex-bil. He had heard about Sister and was calling to congratulate me. He asked about my pregnancy and the delivery and how she was doing and all. He told me that he had become a grandfather and how well his boys were doing.

Then came the questions. How is Bubba doing? How tall is he now? Is his hair still blonde? Who does he look like? I answered his questions without providing too much information but I was a little reluctant. I am not sure if he really wanted to know, afterall, he is his biological uncle, or if he was fishing for information for SD.

He told me that SD was off of drugs and had a good job but that he still didn't trust him and doesn't have a lot to do with him, which honestly, he never really did. Whether he is fishing or whether he was sincere, I dunno, but it has really put me on guard now. I hope and pray that he was genuinely concerned and the phone call was nothing more than a friendly call to say congrats and not a way to get information to SD. I was very careful in what I said and I even put a few little extra things out there just in case he was reporting to SD.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Oh Becky! I hope he was just genuinely interested and not fishing. (((HUGS)))

Tiffany said...

I hate that you have to think about these things!